Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ahhh yes, Family Dynamics


Families are strange entities; we all have one or at the very least had one but aren't always sure we want to remain a part of the clan. I spent this weekend with someone else's family and truly enjoyed myself. It's nice when you can step outside your own family dynamic and act the part of observer. Several times over the weekend I found myself doing the ol' overlay, you know, the part where you find yourself comparing the dynamics of the temporary world you are in to your own. We are all so much alike it's scary. I love to observe people they never fail to surprise, amuse, and sometimes sadden me. The group I was with stayed up until almost 1 a.m. playing cards, something I haven't done for years and the beauty involved was that although the politicking about he said this..she reacted this way etc. was there, I could sit back, listen and enjoy myself. So, without further ado, thank you to the Glen Eden Beach crew, I had a wonderful time and only wish I had a camera to upload the beautiful days we had.
This weekend I also got to do something I really enjoy but seem to never do and that's peruse the trash and treasures of a coastal community. The great thing about small tourist towns is that they have such an eclectic variety of the travelers that came before them. My partner and I scoured many an "antique" store wile struggling though bouts of laughter to maintain our hushed voices. For some reason we have a deep psychological understanding between the two of us that when entering a coastal trash heap establishment one must speak in their most hushed and muted tones; it's as if we are afraid to let anyone else into the conversation of the exciting world we have happened upon. Three cheers to random black and white photos of the unnamed and forgotten. I guarantee you can have more fun on a Sunday afternoon reminiscing about bygone eras and possible picture scenarios than you can doing just about anything else; well, except maybe for watching football.
To all my peeps, I wish you a good day, happy travels, and implore you to reach out to your family sometime soon and remember we're a lot more the same than we are different.

Topic of the day: Family Dynamics; let it all hang out!

Quote of the day:

"America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up."
Oscar Wilde

No comments: